JOHN WILLIAMS Fan Network - JWFAN (Temporary Forums)

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
JOHN WILLIAMS Fan Network - JWFAN (Temporary Forums)

A place to discuss the film music and works of composer John Williams

+22
The Kami of ChrusherComix
Drax
Clone of ggctuk
Faleel's Essence
Ricard
Ghost Pirate LeBlanc
Night Of The Living Roald
walking dead hornist
ChrisAfonso
Merkel
Jeff
Trent B's Ghost
nightscape94
Lucas, prepare to die!
Zombie Charlie Brigden
Maurizio's Halo
Stefan's Ghoest
Henry Buck in Demon Form
crocodile's skeleton
Sideways Koray
Upended Quint
Spirit of King Mark
26 posters

More tinkering of the Star Wars Original Trilogy

More tinkering of the Star Wars Original Trilogy - Page 6 Empty Re: More tinkering of the Star Wars Original Trilogy

Post  Guest Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:46 am

I'll never buy another packaging of the Star Wars movies until they come with a free puppy.
    Ghost Pirate LeBlanc
    Ghost Pirate LeBlanc

More tinkering of the Star Wars Original Trilogy - Page 6 Empty Re: More tinkering of the Star Wars Original Trilogy

Post  Ghost Pirate LeBlanc Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:34 am

More tinkering of the Star Wars Original Trilogy - Page 6 Image001ei
    Maurizio's Halo
    Maurizio's Halo

Post  Maurizio's Halo Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:27 pm

A good overview/comparison list (with screenshots) of all the various changes made on the six films (sorry if it's already been mentioned):

Star Wars:
    http://www.dvdactive.com/editorial/articles/star-wars-the-changes-part-one.html

The Empire Strikes Back:
    http://www.dvdactive.com/editorial/articles/star-wars-the-changes-part-two.html

Return of the Jedi:
    http://www.dvdactive.com/editorial/articles/star-wars-the-changes-part-three.html

The Prequels:
    http://www.dvdactive.com/editorial/articles/star-wars-the-changes-part-four.html
    Ghost Pirate LeBlanc
    Ghost Pirate LeBlanc

Post  Ghost Pirate LeBlanc Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:05 pm

Hadn't seen those, thanks so much for posting!
    Dean1700's soul

Post  Dean1700's soul Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:35 am

Maurizio's Halo wrote:A good overview/comparison list (with screenshots) of all the various changes made on the six films (sorry if it's already been mentioned):

Star Wars:
    http://www.dvdactive.com/editorial/articles/star-wars-the-changes-part-one.html

The Empire Strikes Back:
    http://www.dvdactive.com/editorial/articles/star-wars-the-changes-part-two.html

Return of the Jedi:
    http://www.dvdactive.com/editorial/articles/star-wars-the-changes-part-three.html

The Prequels:
    http://www.dvdactive.com/editorial/articles/star-wars-the-changes-part-four.html

Interestingly there is no mention of the 32" Falcon insert in the Death Star Hangar when Leia says to our heros "You came here in that thing?"

and WTF is with Ben's "new" scream at the Tusken Raiders? There was nothing wrong with the original.
    Spirit of King Mark
    Spirit of King Mark

Post  Spirit of King Mark Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:43 am

I've decided

I'm going to get the Blu Rays anyways. I haven't seen any of the films in about 6-7 years

They're never going to be released 100% perfect
    Stefan's Ghoest
    Stefan's Ghoest

Post  Stefan's Ghoest Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:56 pm

Lemming!
    Spirit of King Mark
    Spirit of King Mark

Post  Spirit of King Mark Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:54 pm

Well the next release will be the 3D version, and that'll be tinkered to the point where I'm not sure we'll be watching the same movies
    Trent B's Ghost
    Trent B's Ghost

Post  Trent B's Ghost Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:40 pm

I'm going to still be getting them as well but not this month. I'll most likely get it after I move my girlfriend here to Utah and we have our own apartment so we can watch it together. Maybe by then it'll be down a bit in price.

All though I have all ready seen them by other methods but it isn't the same as watching them on a 42'' HDTV.

I will also say that seeing the CG Yoda in TPM is far better than that damn ugly puppet. I hated that thing, it looked like Yoda was on crack and not even resembles anything close to the Yoda in ESB and ROTJ.
    Stefan's Ghoest
    Stefan's Ghoest

Post  Stefan's Ghoest Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:00 pm

Trent B's Ghost wrote:
    I will also say that seeing the CG Yoda in TPM is far better than that damn ugly puppet. I hated that thing, it looked like Yoda was on crack and not even resembles anything close to the Yoda in ESB and ROTJ.

The puppet from TPM is easily the best thing to come out of that film. What the angry fanboys fail to understand is that Yoda in TESB and ROTJ looks the way he does because he's been living in a swamp and is dying of old-age. The puppet in TPM shows him as a much healthier Jedi-master.

CGI Yoda never once looked convincing to me.

Post  Night Of The Living Roald Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:06 pm

Stefan's Ghoest wrote:
    Trent B's Ghost wrote:

The puppet from TPM is easily the best thing to come out of that film. What the angry fanboys fail to understand is that Yoda in TESB and ROTJ looks the way he does because he's been living in a swamp and is dying of old-age. The puppet in TPM shows him as a much healthier Jedi-master.

Nothing beats the puppet from ESB and ROTJ, but I'm so sorry Steef: the TPM puppet is just ridiculously BAD. I'd take the CGI Yoda over THAT puppet any day (NOT the OT puppet of course).

And this:

What the angry fanboys fail to understand is that Yoda in TESB and ROTJ looks the way he does because he's been living in a swamp and is dying of old-age.

Man, that sounds REALLY fan-boyish to me... Wink
    St. Elmo
    St. Elmo

Post  St. Elmo Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:39 pm

Night Of The Living Roald wrote:
    Stefan's Ghoest wrote:
    Trent B's Ghost wrote:

Nothing beats the puppet from ESB and ROTJ, but I'm so sorry Steef: the TPM puppet is just ridiculously BAD. I'd take the CGI Yoda over THAT puppet any day (NOT the OT puppet of course).

I agree. Since Yoda never looked good in the prequels anyway, I'll take the lesser evil.

It's not like I can bring myself to think that's the same character from ESB in any case.
    Maurizio's Halo
    Maurizio's Halo

Post  Maurizio's Halo Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:30 pm

It looks like that in "over 40 hours of bonus features" on the SW Blu-ray box, John Williams gets approx. 6 minutes of screentime.
    Stefan's Ghoest
    Stefan's Ghoest

Post  Stefan's Ghoest Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:13 pm

[quote="Night Of The Living Roald"]
    Stefan's Ghoest wrote:
    Trent B's Ghost wrote:

yeah, but you've always been a Lucas apologist.
    I'm soon expecting a "The NOOOO in ROTJ actually makes a lot of sense" thread!

The puppet in TPM looks fine. It looks like a younger version of Yoda, which was the point.

What the angry fanboys fail to understand is that Yoda in TESB and ROTJ looks the way he does because he's been living in a swamp and is dying of old-age.

Man, that sounds REALLY fan-boyish to me... Wink

Only in the sides of your head!

But the thing is, why is Lucas so inconsistent? We have a puppet for the OT, but CGI for the prequels?
    crocodile's skeleton
    crocodile's skeleton

Post  crocodile's skeleton Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:15 pm

To be perfectly honest the old puppet, TPM puppet and CGI version look like 3 different things to me.

Karol
    Henry Buck in Demon Form
    Henry Buck in Demon Form

Post  Henry Buck in Demon Form Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:17 pm

I also much preferred the puppet Yoda in TPM. Yeah, he was a little misshapen and oddly colored, and perhaps not animated quite as well as the original, but at least he basically looked like Yoda. To me the CG Yoda looks about as close to the original as the CG Jabba in ANH does to the puppet. And I'm not talking about the revised 2004 version, but this thing:

More tinkering of the Star Wars Original Trilogy - Page 6 Jabba

My problem with CG Yoda is that even though he's a more accurate reproduction of the ESB model he's all wrong in the eyes, as well as the mouth. But without the right eyes you don't have Yoda.

More tinkering of the Star Wars Original Trilogy - Page 6 Yoda-1
    More tinkering of the Star Wars Original Trilogy - Page 6 Cg_yoda
    Faleel's Essence
    Faleel's Essence

Post  Faleel's Essence Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:23 am

Maurizio's Halo wrote:It looks like that in "over 40 hours of bonus features" on the SW Blu-ray box, John Williams gets approx. 6 minutes of screentime.

How do you know that?
    Spirit of King Mark
    Spirit of King Mark

Post  Spirit of King Mark Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:24 am

Maurizio's Halo wrote:It looks like that in "over 40 hours of bonus features" on the SW Blu-ray box, John Williams gets approx. 6 minutes of screentime.

Of course Expect no less
    Maurizio's Halo
    Maurizio's Halo

Post  Maurizio's Halo Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:23 pm

Faleel's Essence wrote:

How do you know that?

Several fans reported it.
    Upended Quint
    Upended Quint

Post  Upended Quint Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:13 pm

Ben Burtt gets three hours.
    Maurizio's Halo
    Maurizio's Halo

Post  Maurizio's Halo Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:19 pm

A very fair review of the BLu-ray set by The Digital Bits' Bill Hunt:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviewshd/bdreviews091611.html

I think this passage is worth mentioning:

For those of you who hate the past changes (and the new BD changes), believe me I get it. Let me just say, it could be a LOT worse. Sources well-positioned to know have told me that Lucas actually seriously considered replacing the puppet Yoda from The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi with the all-digital version, and even had tests conducted to see how it would look. Fortunately, cooler heads prevailed. (For the record, I'm told that the digital Yoda just didn't look right or mesh well with the real, physical, practical Dagobah sets. Shocking, I know.)

Shocked
    Spirit of King Mark
    Spirit of King Mark

Post  Spirit of King Mark Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:58 am

See, I knew it
    Faleel's Essence
    Faleel's Essence

Post  Faleel's Essence Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:03 am

Another deleted scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1V5NO7E_Wg&feature=related
    Ghost Pirate LeBlanc
    Ghost Pirate LeBlanc

Post  Ghost Pirate LeBlanc Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:20 am

Nice, that guy's channel actually has a bunch of the deleted scenes:

https://www.youtube.com/user/BetterThanHollywood9

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:47 am