JOHN WILLIAMS Fan Network - JWFAN (Temporary Forums)

A place to discuss the film music and works of composer John Williams


    Independence Day (Score)

    Trent B's Ghost
    Trent B's Ghost

    Posts : 71
    Join date : 2011-08-29
    Age : 37
    Location : Cedar City, Utah

    Independence Day (Score) Empty Independence Day (Score)

    Post  Trent B's Ghost on Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:55 am

    Well in light of LLL's release for Independence Day, I thought it would be fun to start this topic here again on this board since we can't get to the original forum.

    There are also a couple of interesting things to note about the LLL release.

    1: The alternate for "The President's Speech" which is on the first bootleg for the score is not present on the LLL version. What's different about this compared to the film version, is not only the orchestration is different but the opening snare drums are much more quieter compared to the final version.

    2: Also there was supposed to be about a 2 second or so gap between the two parts for "El Toro Destroyed". However, on the OST (and replicated on the LLL) this gap was eliminated. The first bootleg has both pieces as separate cues but they're all just one cue which is called "El Toro Destroyed".

    3: The cues from "Satellite Collision" to "Destroyers Disengaged", while on the LLL release are clearly out of order according to the PDF breakdown which I have received they were meant to be in the order which they appeared in the film. So I'm not sure why Mike Matessino put them out of order on the LLL release.

    Here is the full list of the original cue names.



    1m1 20th Century Fox Fanfare (0:22)
    1m2 We Came In Peace (2:00)
    1m4 Radio Signal (1:52)
    1m5 Satellite Collision (0:42)
    2m0 Mysto Bridge (0:16)
    2m6R Russell Casse: Pilot (0:55)
    2m4 Destroyers Disengage (0:31)
    2m7 First Sightings (1:23)
    2m9 AWAC Attack (0:59)
    3m2R The Darkest Day (4:12)
    3m4 Moving Day / Countdown (2:11)
    4m1 Suitcase Disgrace (1:44)
    5m2 Commence Lift-Off (0:45)
    5m3 Parabolic Indenwhat? (0:34)
    5m4a/6m0 The Clock Is Ticking / Evacuation (5:49)
    6m1 Firestorm (1:24)
    6m2x Aftermath (3:34)
    7m1 Black Knights Attack (3:51)
    7m2 Base Attack / Dogfight (2:26)
    8m1 Marilyn Found (1:29)
    8m2 Area 51 (1:31)
    8m3 The Big Tamale (0:53)
    8m4 Formaldehyde Freak Show (1:50)
    9m2 El Toro Destroyed (1:40)
    9m3 Slimy Wakes Up (5:21)
    10m1 Target Remains / Rescue (5:26)
    10m2 Death Of Marilyn (2:40)
    10m3 Dad's A Genius (0:55)
    11m1 Alien Ship Powers Up (1:45)
    11m2R International Code (1:31)
    11m4XS Wedding (1:49)
    11m5X The President's Speech (3:10)
    12m1 Just In Case (0:44)
    12m1 Attacker Fires Up (2:00)
    12m1 Untitled Insert (0:31)
    12M2R6S The Launch Tunnel (0:52)
    12m2X Mutha Ship (4:26)
    13m1R6 Virus Uploaded (3:13)
    13m2A Hide! (0:45)
    13m2R7 Russell's Packin' (4:02)
    13M2Pt2 He Did It! (1:32)
    13M3/14m0 Jolly Roger (3:15)
    14m1 Victory (3:40)
    14m2 End Credits (9:07)
    1m2 We Came In Peace (Original Version) (2:03)
    2m4 Destroyers Disengage (No Choir) (0:33)
    4m1 Suitcase Disgrace (Original Version) (1:43)
    5m2 Commence Lift-Off (Original Version) (0:56)
    7m2 Base Attack / Dogfight (Original Ending) (2:24)
    8m1 Marilyn Found (No Choir) (1:28)
    10m1 Target Remains / Rescue (Original Version) (2:41)
    10m3 Dad's A Genius (Original Version) (0:45)
    11m5X The President's Speech (Alternate) (3:11)
    12m1 Attacker Fires Up (No Choir) (2:01)
    13m1 Virus Uploaded (Original Version) (2:34)
    13m2 The Day We Fight Back (Original Version) (5:47)
    13m3/14m0 Jolly Roger (Oirginal Version) (3:21)
    14m2 End Credits (Part 3 No Choir) (2:46)



    avatar
    Thor

    Posts : 39
    Join date : 2011-09-03

    Independence Day (Score) Empty Re: Independence Day (Score)

    Post  Thor on Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:17 am

    It's quite a score. It was one of my favourites for years, but since I can't really listen to that kind of bombastic, orchestral action music anymore, I sold my CD (the original, of course) awhile back. Even that CD (what was it, 60-minutes something?) felt too long to me, given the nature of the music.
    crocodile's skeleton
    crocodile's skeleton

    Posts : 116
    Join date : 2011-08-29

    Independence Day (Score) Empty Re: Independence Day (Score)

    Post  crocodile's skeleton on Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:20 am

    50 minute album seemed too relentless for me too. But, surprisingly, the 140 one is just fine. Weird, ain't it?

    Karol
    avatar
    Thor

    Posts : 39
    Join date : 2011-09-03

    Independence Day (Score) Empty Re: Independence Day (Score)

    Post  Thor on Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:38 am

    crocodile's skeleton wrote:50 minute album seemed too relentless for me too. But, surprisingly, the 140 one is just fine. Weird, ain't it?

    Karol

    Yes, that IS strange! Smile
    avatar
    Drax

    Posts : 7
    Join date : 2011-09-03

    Independence Day (Score) Empty Re: Independence Day (Score)

    Post  Drax on Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:46 pm

    Thor wrote:It's quite a score. It was one of my favourites for years, but since I can't really listen to that kind of bombastic, orchestral action music anymore, I sold my CD (the original, of course) awhile back. Even that CD (what was it, 60-minutes something?) felt too long to me, given the nature of the music.

    Is this because it's not to your taste anymore or does the tinnitus have anything to do with it? How did that happen to you, if I may ask?
    avatar
    Thor

    Posts : 39
    Join date : 2011-09-03

    Independence Day (Score) Empty Re: Independence Day (Score)

    Post  Thor on Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:32 pm

    Drax wrote:
    Thor wrote:It's quite a score. It was one of my favourites for years, but since I can't really listen to that kind of bombastic, orchestral action music anymore, I sold my CD (the original, of course) awhile back. Even that CD (what was it, 60-minutes something?) felt too long to me, given the nature of the music.

    Is this because it's not to your taste anymore or does the tinnitus have anything to do with it? How did that happen to you, if I may ask?

    Yes, my change in music taste is mostly related to my tinnitus.

    How I got it is a mystery to me, and my doctor couldn't be of much help either. I first discovered it after having flown home from Turkey after a holiday there in September-2009. I was at a loud disco there, but no louder than other discos I've been to. No, I think it's more likely that it has to do with my extensive headphone listening in the late teens and early 20's. But I guess I will never know. Either way, I'm stuck with it for life, and just have to make the best of it.
    Sideways Koray
    Sideways Koray
    Admin

    Posts : 79
    Join date : 2010-08-24
    Age : 28
    Location : Maryland

    Independence Day (Score) Empty Re: Independence Day (Score)

    Post  Sideways Koray on Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:03 pm

    Steef would blame it on the Turkish.


    _________________
    Independence Day (Score) Koraysavas90
    Stefan's Ghoest
    Stefan's Ghoest

    Posts : 160
    Join date : 2011-08-30

    Independence Day (Score) Empty Re: Independence Day (Score)

    Post  Stefan's Ghoest on Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:16 pm

    Or the Greek!
    avatar
    Jacob

    Posts : 4
    Join date : 2010-08-24

    Independence Day (Score) Empty Re: Independence Day (Score)

    Post  Jacob on Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:51 am

    crocodile's skeleton wrote:50 minute album seemed too relentless for me too. But, surprisingly, the 140 one is just fine. Weird, ain't it?

    Karol
    It makes sense actually, if you think of it in terms of giving a busy score like that more room to breath.
    avatar
    Thor

    Posts : 39
    Join date : 2011-09-03

    Independence Day (Score) Empty Re: Independence Day (Score)

    Post  Thor on Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:33 am

    Of course, the problem could also have been solved by having more of the calm material in the 50-minute release to make it less overwhelming.
    Faleel's Essence
    Faleel's Essence

    Posts : 61
    Join date : 2011-08-29

    Independence Day (Score) Empty Re: Independence Day (Score)

    Post  Faleel's Essence on Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:50 am

    Thor wrote:Of course, the problem could also have been solved by having more of the calm material in the 50-minute release to make it less overwhelming.

    What are your thoughts on CD albums that drop tracks from the LP?
    avatar
    Thor

    Posts : 39
    Join date : 2011-09-03

    Independence Day (Score) Empty Re: Independence Day (Score)

    Post  Thor on Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:11 am

    Faleel's Essence wrote:
    Thor wrote:Of course, the problem could also have been solved by having more of the calm material in the 50-minute release to make it less overwhelming.

    What are your thoughts on CD albums that drop tracks from the LP?

    I don't necessarily have a problem with that as long as the album holds up as it does.

    That being said, there are examples like the Warner CD of SUPERMAN, which for some curious reason omits two tracks from the LP release, even though they could clearly have fitted on a single CD and they certainly aren't disruptive to the listening experience. But the Warner CD is still the only SUPERMAN album I play. I sold my Rhino 2CD and never got the Blue Box. So it works fine as it is.
    avatar
    Jacob

    Posts : 4
    Join date : 2010-08-24

    Independence Day (Score) Empty Re: Independence Day (Score)

    Post  Jacob on Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:07 am

    Thor wrote:Of course, the problem could also have been solved by having more of the calm material in the 50-minute release to make it less overwhelming.
    True. Another solution could be to make a playlist to suit your own listening preference. Wink
    avatar
    Thor

    Posts : 39
    Join date : 2011-09-03

    Independence Day (Score) Empty Re: Independence Day (Score)

    Post  Thor on Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:39 am

    Jacob wrote:
    Thor wrote:Of course, the problem could also have been solved by having more of the calm material in the 50-minute release to make it less overwhelming.
    True. Another solution could be to make a playlist to suit your own listening preference. Wink

    To which I can only give you this Wink:

    http://www.celluloidtunes.net/non-website/faq.jpg
    Faleel's Essence
    Faleel's Essence

    Posts : 61
    Join date : 2011-08-29

    Independence Day (Score) Empty Re: Independence Day (Score)

    Post  Faleel's Essence on Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:05 am

    Thor wrote:
    Jacob wrote:
    Thor wrote:Of course, the problem could also have been solved by having more of the calm material in the 50-minute release to make it less overwhelming.
    True. Another solution could be to make a playlist to suit your own listening preference. Wink

    To which I can only give you this Wink:

    http://www.celluloidtunes.net/non-website/faq.jpg

    ha ha ha, the second point actually works in DEFENSE of C&C!

    avatar
    Thor

    Posts : 39
    Join date : 2011-09-03

    Independence Day (Score) Empty Re: Independence Day (Score)

    Post  Thor on Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:58 am

    Faleel's Essence wrote:
    Thor wrote:
    Jacob wrote:
    Thor wrote:Of course, the problem could also have been solved by having more of the calm material in the 50-minute release to make it less overwhelming.
    True. Another solution could be to make a playlist to suit your own listening preference. Wink

    To which I can only give you this Wink:

    http://www.celluloidtunes.net/non-website/faq.jpg

    ha ha ha, the second point actually works in DEFENSE of C&C!


    Really? That must only be in your own mind, in that case. Razz
    Faleel's Essence
    Faleel's Essence

    Posts : 61
    Join date : 2011-08-29

    Independence Day (Score) Empty Re: Independence Day (Score)

    Post  Faleel's Essence on Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:19 am

    Thor wrote:
    Faleel's Essence wrote:
    Thor wrote:
    Jacob wrote:
    Thor wrote:Of course, the problem could also have been solved by having more of the calm material in the 50-minute release to make it less overwhelming.
    True. Another solution could be to make a playlist to suit your own listening preference. Wink

    To which I can only give you this Wink:

    http://www.celluloidtunes.net/non-website/faq.jpg

    ha ha ha, the second point actually works in DEFENSE of C&C!


    Really? That must only be in your own mind, in that case. Razz

    "The Consumer should not have to complete the product"

    in other words "The Consumer should not have to rip video games and rear channels from DVD's to have complete scores"
    avatar
    Thor

    Posts : 39
    Join date : 2011-09-03

    Independence Day (Score) Empty Re: Independence Day (Score)

    Post  Thor on Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:27 pm

    Faleel's Essence wrote:
    "The Consumer should not have to complete the product"

    in other words "The Consumer should not have to rip video games and rear channels from DVD's to have complete scores"

    That's certainly one way to put it if you only look at the first sentence, but my argument contains three more sentences that should make the meaning abundantly clear. Anyways, mine and your viewpoints on this will ALWAYS be mutually exclusive and at the opposite end of the scale, so unless labels release more scores in both a C&C and A&A (abbreviated & arranged) arrangement, we will keep going in circles. Smile

    Sponsored content

    Independence Day (Score) Empty Re: Independence Day (Score)

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Mon May 27, 2019 3:52 am